The seat of government for the Town of Oswego is located in the hamlet of Oswego Center. Formerly known as Fitch's Corners, it was changed to Oswego Centre in 1867. The first town hall was builr in 1892. Since the founding of Oswego in 1818, the town board met in schools or homes. This is the edifice in the early 1900s. The town sheds that store road equipment are behind the building.


In 1966, a new town hall was built on the site of the earlier structure. The highway garage was expanded to accomodate the road equipment, including snowplows. Offices for town officials were now housed here, as well. Previously, the offices of the Supervisor, Town Clerk, Tax Collector, and Justice of the Peace were in the elected individual's homes.


Almost 40 years later, the present town hall was erected on the site of the previous halls, under the leadership of supervisor Victoria Mullen, the first female supervisor of the town. Offices are located here, and it also serves as the home of the Town of Oswego Historical Society.


Nelson Gibson Thompson, a local printer and Oswego town clerk from 1919 to 1944, was the longest serving town official. Thompson had a print shop in Southwest Oswego and later moved to Oswego Center. Many birth, death, and marriage certificates bear his name.


The oldest continuous business in Oswego is Malone's Garage, seen here. It is located in Southwest Oswego on State Route 104 near the intersection with State Route 101A. The business was established in 1938 by Raymond Malone.


After World War II, Raymond Malone's brothers, Leo and Bernard, owned and operated the full-service garage. From left to right are Leo, his brother Douglas (the present owner), and son Tim. In the background is State Route 104A.


A familiar face in Oswego was that of Percy Flack, as he peddled his milk and dairy products. Flack was one of many dairy farmers in the town delivering their milk, butter, and eggs from door to door. He had a farm in Oswego Town from 1899 to 1918.


The Oswego City Alms House, more famously known as the "Oswego City Poor House," was located on Thompson Road. The institution was part of the town's life for many years, housing the indigent and homeless. This early-20th-century postcard shows the main building.


Lockwood's Store, operated by Fred Lockwood, was the last general store in Southwest Oswego. It closed in 1959. Previous owners included the Barstow family and Howard Cole, among others. The first store in Southwest Oswego was established by Asa Watson in 1844. In this picture from 1959, Lockwood's mother pumps gas.


The Bradways first had a store in Oswego Center before moving to Fruit Valley. They are pictured here around 1909. The brick store, now a private residence, was owned and operated by Milburn and Emma Cooper after the Brafways left. Note the brooms on the store porch.


Galloways in Southwest Oswego, situated at the corner of Route 104 and California Road, was a place for good food and refreshment. The establishment was started by a Mr. Mulcahey; he built tourist cabins in the back. At the end of the season, Joe and Mrs. Galloway invited the school children from District 12 across the road for free food!