Possibilities include a wide range of jobs in web development, software development, consulting (HCI focused firms and more general), and quality assurance.
The list of career opportunities includes :
- Graphic Designers,
- Multi-Media Artists and Animators,
- Commercial and Industrial Designers,
- Computer Specialists, All Other,
- Computer Systems Engineers/Architects,
- Web Administrators,
- Information Technology Project Managers,
- Computer and Information Systems Managers,
- Computer Programmers,
- Computer Software Engineers, Applications,
- Software Quality Assurance Engineers and Testers,
- Computer Systems Analysts,
- Video Game Designers,
- Web Developers,
- Survey Researchers,
- Human Factors Engineers and Ergonomists
Graduates with computer related degrees are more employable
A key perspective to meeting employers needs is human factors (pdf)
In a recent article in the New York Times it was stated that master's education is moving very rapidly to become the entry level qualification in many professions.
The median salary for a people with masters degrees are shown in the chart to the left.
The tallest bar represents those working in the IT sector, with an average salary of $92,764.
(Data from www.payscale.com, January 2010)
Click on images to expand and see details.
A career in HCI offers graduates a change to achieve salaries way above the norm. The median salary for all HCI jobs across the USA, regardless of educational level, is $75,000.
(Data from www.simplyhired.com, January 2010)